inMynd: Changing the Conversation about America’s Mental Health
Anxiety, depression and insomnia affect millions of Americans, and our recent America’s State of Mind report shows that the use of anti-depressants (medications used to treat depression, anxiety, pain, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder) has increased 15% from 2015 to 2019. ?
As suggested by our data, the COVID-19 pandemic has further amplified the impact of these conditions on our country’s mental health with prescription utilization for anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and anti-insomnia medication increasing by 18.6%, 34.1%, and 14.8% respectively, between mid-February and mid-March 2020.?
As Americans, we spend most of our time focusing and discussing physical health conditions, but have not treated mental health conditions the same way.?
We’re here to change that.
Express Scripts is offering inMyndSM, a new approach to mental health management that helps both patients and payers better recognize, treat and support mental and behavioral health conditions.
Every mind deserves better
inMynd features the industry’s first predictive models for the progression of anxiety, depression and insomnia, allowing us to proactively meet each member on their personal mental health journey. This data allows us to anticipate a person’s needs, which removes the burden on the member to make the first move.
Patients and plans need more support
Through inMynd, we offer a way to converge psychology, technology and specialized care in one single solution, focusing on three areas:
- Proprietary algorithms allow us to predict and help prevent progression of depression, anxiety and insomnia.
- Coaching sessions with pharmacists help set members up for success when they initiate antidepressant therapy, which can take time to be effective.
- Digital cognitive behavioral therapy helps put members in the driver’s seat with tools at their fingertips so they can view challenging situations more clearly and respond in more effective ways. The interactive digital experience is paired with medication counseling from our pharmacists, to coach the member to the most beneficial clinical outcomes.
- Members have a dedicated pathway to condition-specific care through our Neuroscience Therapeutic Resource CenterSM (TRC).
Neuroscience TRC pharmacists empower the member with knowledge to maintain open communication with everyone on their care team as well as enable them to speak up and request an alternate therapy when current treatment is not effective and/or causing significant adverse effects.
- Physician care alerts notify providers of new medications that could lead to comorbidities or increased propensity for mental illness, as well as proactive recommendations for non-pharmacological therapy.
- Focused on proper utilization management, we’re working with physicians to avoid over-utilization of anti-insomnia and anti-anxiety medications that could lead to intense withdrawal, dependence or addiction.
Invisible, yet clear repercussions
Without more proactive management of mental health disorders, costs to employers and health plans will continue to grow:
- In addition to treatment costs, mental health conditions cause more days of lost work and work impairment than other chronic conditions such as diabetes, asthma and arthritis.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide and is estimated to cause 200 million lost workdays each year.
- In a 3-month period, people with depression miss?an average of 4.8 workdays and have 11.5 days of reduced productivity.
- ~24 percent of all costs caused by workplace accidents and errors are associated with insomnia.
While symptoms of mental health disorders may often be invisible, treatment and support can lead to improved productivity. More than 80% of employees treated for mental illness report improved levels of work efficiency and satisfaction.
Offering a thoughtful behavioral and mental health solution can help lower total cost of care, avoid downstream acute costs, deliver increased productivity and ensure members are getting the support that they need for a healthier and happier life.
Every one of us deserves to lead a healthy life, and that starts with a healthy mind. When we take care of every mind…we take care of every body.